8th grade students: There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during Walton registration in late February with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the freshmen orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement into Philharmonia and/or Sinfonia. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 12, 2021 and then in late February, have their Walton registration form completed by their orchestra teacher.Please note that you are asking to jump levels into an upperclassmen orchestra. We expect that you will act like a junior or senior at Walton if you are accepted to one these orchestras. This includes audition preparation, attendance, attitude, etc. Chamber Orchestra auditions will only be open to current Walton students and 8th graders by middle school teacher recommendation only. Factors that will be considered include All State participation, youth orchestra participation, honor orchestra participation, additional ensembles at the middle schools, attitude, and rehearsal ethic.
9th-11th grade students There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during registration with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the Serenade orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 12, 2021, and enroll in orchestra with their orchestra teacher.
Auditions for 2021-2022:
- Auditions will be submitted online via Flip Grid by midnight on Sunday, March 28, 2021. Flip Grid Audition Instructions
- To audition, you must complete the online request for auditions by Friday, February 12, 2021 at this link: https://forms.gle/kY1cBjxx5Cqeao8H7 If you have any questions, please e-mail Mrs. Grimes at [email protected].
- The audition has two components: 1) Scales & Arpeggios 2) Excerpts
Scales & Arpeggios. Violins, Violas, Cellos: scales must be eighth note, slur two with QN= 60 and Arpeggios must be quarter note, separate bow with QN = 60. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For violins, violas, and cellos: all scales should be 3 octaves; Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia violin & cello auditionees are encouraged to play 4 octaves.
Basses should play scales as written on the Walton Bass Scale Sheet. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For bass, all scales should be 2 octaves. Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 3 octaves.
VIOLIN: G Major, A Major, G Melodic Minor, and A Melodic Minor
VIOLA: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
CELLO: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
BASS: F Major, G Major, F Melodic Minor, and G Melodic Minor (Walton Bass Scales Sheet)
Please download and print your excerpts. To audition for Sinfonia, only play Sinfonia excerpts. To audition for Philharmonia, play Sinfonia and Philharmonia excerpts. To audition for Chamber Orchestra, play Sinfonia, Philharmonia, and Chamber Orchestra excerpts. Be sure to pay close attention to marked tempos and rhythmic indications.
Chamber Orchestra Excerpts (these are sample audition excerpts from 2020-2021; audition materials for 2021-2022 will be posted by Friday, March 5, 2021; thanks for your patience)
Chamber 2020-2021 Violin
Chamber 2020-2021 Viola
Chamber 2020-2021 Cello
Chamber 2020-2021 Bass