Concert etiquette can be hard and confusing to understand sometimes: that’s okay!
Walton Orchestra believes that teaching young musicians proper concert etiquette can help the group playing and the enjoyment of the listener. Here are a couple of the do’s and don’ts of classical concerts!
- Sit quietly and respectfully
- Clap when the song is over
- Clap when a solo is finished
- Move into the audience between pieces or groups
- Put your phone on silent
- Remove an upset small child immediately
- Stop talking when the director introduces the concertmaster/ concertmistress
- Talk: Be respectful! You can talk after!
- Check your phone or play on your phone
- Get up in the middle of a piece
- Be late
- Bring food into the theater
- Clap between movements, if there are 2 or more
- Wear a hat in the theater
- Block anyone if you are filming
Written by Sophie Beaudet, Orchestra President 2019-2020