We (Doc and Grimes) have been in intensive trainings for the past week and a half preparing to teach all of you via CTLS. The platform has a lot of potential, and when we supplement with a music program, we will be able to have a meaningful orchestra experience. It will be different, of course, but we are looking forward to making music with each of you!
Online instruction means that all students need to have an instrument at home. We will be happy to help you find a solution if you do not have access to an instrument. Orchestra families should contact local music stores to rent an instrument if they do not have one at home. With our large orchestra program, we simply do not have enough instruments to provide cellos and basses for digital learning. If there are extenuating financial circumstances, please e-mail Mrs. Grimes (Sara.Grimes@cobbk12.org) by Monday, August 10, 2020. Our priorities for distributing the instruments will be documented financial need and then seniority.
We need you to please return your tuxedo on the Walton Distribution day next Wednesday (August 12th) as we will not be using tuxedos this school year. The Walton schedule is below. After you pick-up your supplies in the front of the school, please come by the orchestra room in the bus lanes to return your tuxedo (pants and jacket) and bag. We will get them dry-cleaned as a group.
Thank you for your help with taking care of this.
Upperclassman Distribution- Wednesday, August 12
8:30-9:00 12th Grade Last Name A-H
9:00 –9:30 12th Grade Last Names I-O
9:30-10:00 12Th Grade Last Names P-Z
10:30 –11:00 11th Grade Last Names A-H
11:00-11:30 11th Grade Last Names I-O
11:30-12:00 11th Grade Last Names P-Z
12:00-12:30 10th Grade Last Names A-H
12:30 –1:00 10th Grade Last Names I-O
1:00-1:30 10th Grade Last Names P-Z
Senior Solo Update
I am writing to you today about the Senior Solo Concert. This will be a certainly be a unique start to the school year. Ms. Grimes and I are working hard to afford you the best digital learning situation Walton orchestra can provide. Given the fact we are starting the year with remote learning, we will be pushing back Senior Solo Auditions to November 30, 2020.
Our intention is to present this concert in mid-March. Please note that the school calendar from both Walton High School and Cobb County Schools could yet be altered due to further developments concerning the Covid-19 virus. We will apprise students of any change to these dates when warranted.
Dear Walton Orchestra Family,
Well, our plan below isn’t quite how we will be starting the school year. Plans change quickly and are being worked on right now. What we can tell you is that orchestra will still be offered and that we are working to plan the best digital experience possible. If you are a cello/bass player who does not have an instrument at home, please be sure you are working to obtain one. Our local music stores all have great rental deals and are happy to work with you. We will keep our plan below as it will still guide when we are allowed to return to the orchestra room together. Please reach out with any questions. -Doc & Grimes
Dear Walton Orchestra Family,
We wanted to update on you our proposed plans for safety in the time of Covid in the orchestra room as you are making your plans for the start of the school year. Dr. Holbrook and Mrs. Grimes have been on the planning committee for high school orchestra for the district, and we are collaborating with orchestra directors from around the country to have the best and research-based procedures in place. We will continue to update and refine this plan. Here are some of the in-person procedures we are planning as of now:
– Chairs in the orchestra room will be arranged in a grid formation so students can be socially distant from other students on all sides. Each space will be marked with a number so students can find their seat easily.
– Students will no longer share stands or have stand partners.
– Music folders will no longer be shared. Each student will have their own folder that will stay in the classroom. We have already begun selecting repertoire for each ensemble!
– In accordance with the proposed Walton guidelines, we will expect that all students will wear face coverings—and we will be wearing face coverings too.
– All students must hand sanitize or wash their hands for 20 seconds prior to orchestra class.
– Students will be sent to the instrument locker room in small groups both at the beginning and end of class. Students within the same class will not have lockers on the same column.
– Violin, viola, and cello students will be asked to download a tuning app on their phone. We are recommending Simply Tuner (free on both Apple and Android devices). Bass tuners will remain on the basses.
– Each student will need their own rosin, pencil, and rock stop as we will no longer be sharing these items.
– School cello and basses will be wiped down and sanitized between each use using an disinfectant designed for use against Covid-19.
– We highly recommend that all in person cello and bass students also have an instrument at home.
– Practice rooms will be closed for the start of the school year.
– The water fountain in the orchestra room will be turned off. Students should bring their own water bottles every day.
– We will have our beginning of the year mandatory meeting (501c3) virtually instead of in person and are planning for concerts to be virtually for first semester at this point. We will reevaluate as we go forward.
– We are planning for Chamber Orchestra to continue Monday night rehearsals from 6:30-8:00PM. This will be required for both in-person and remote choice students.
– We are still planning for Senior Solo Concert, but it expect it will be a virtual concert. Seniors, please look for a separate e-mail on how you will submit your audition video. The deadline will remain the same: August 12, 2020.
– We will still offer the Tri-M pink cord for graduation for those who have been in orchestra for all 4 years, and the Fine Arts Diploma Seal from the state will be offered too as far as we know.
– We will forgo the formal uniforms this year; we will do a tuxedo return in August for those of you who still have a tuxedo at home. Our student leadership team is working on a t-shirt design that will be our “casual uniform” for the year. This will be for all students: face to face and remote.
For remote choice students, orchestra will not be like it was in the spring. We are still waiting for guidance, but you will be playing your instrument every day with us for rehearsal and assessments. To make this possible, students will need an instrument at home in order to properly participate in orchestra. Please look online for local stores in our area that rent string instruments. Many local stores have great deals for instrument rentals. If you are planning to be a remote learner and cannot obtain an instrument, please let us know by July 22, 2020. We are working to have digital stand partners in the orchestra room, so you will feel a part of the ensemble from at home.
No matter if you are coming back in person or we’ll see you digitally, we are looking forward to making music with you again soon. If you have any questions, please e-mail us. Take care and see you soon!
Link your Publix account with the Walton Orchestra and they will donate a percentage to our program. Watch this video to see how easy it is! Publix Partners Video