8th grade students: There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during Walton registration in late February/early March with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the freshmen orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement into Philharmonia and/or Sinfonia. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 9, 2018 and then in late February/March, have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.Please note that you are asking to jump levels into an upperclassmen orchestra. We expect that you will act like a junior or senior at Walton if you are accepted to one these orchestras. This includes audition preparation, attendance, attitude, etc. Chamber Orchestra auditions will only be open to current Walton students and 8th graders by middle school teacher recommendation only. Factors that will be considered include All State participation, youth orchestra participation, honor orchestra participation, additional ensembles at the middle schools, attitude, and rehearsal ethic.
9th-11th grade students There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during registration with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the Serenade orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 9, 2018, and have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.
Auditions for 2018-2019:
1. Auditions for the 2018-2019 school year will be held March 27-29, 2018 at Walton High School. . This is the only time to audition. There will not be any auditions scheduled at a later date. **All auditions will be in the Walton Orchestra Room**
2. To audition, you must complete the online request for auditions by Friday, February 9, 2018. The audition request link is now closed. If you have any questions, please e-mail Mrs. Grimes at email@example.com.
3. The audition has two components: 1) Scales & Arpeggios 2) Excerpts
4. Audition results will be posted on the homepage of this site on Friday, March 30, 2018 at 5:00PM.
Scales & Arpeggios. Violins, Violas, Cellos: scales must be eighth note, slur two with QN= 60 and Arpeggios must be quarter note, separate bow with QN = 60. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For violins, violas, and cellos: all scales should be 3 octaves; Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 4 octaves.
Basses should play scales as written on the Walton Bass Scale Sheet. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For bass, all scales should be 2 octaves. Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 3 octaves.
VIOLIN: G Major, A Major, G Melodic Minor, and A Melodic Minor
VIOLA: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
CELLO: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
BASS: F Major, G Major, F Melodic Minor, and G Melodic Minor (Walton Bass Scales Sheet)
Please download and print your excerpts. To audition for Sinfonia, only play Sinfonia excerpts. To audition for Philharmonia, play Sinfonia and Philharmonia excerpts. To audition for Chamber Orchestra, play Sinfonia, Philharmonia, and Chamber Orchestra excerpts. Be sure to pay close attention to marked tempos and rhythmic indications.
Chamber Orchestra Excerpts:
We will post Nimrod fingerings for violin in a few days–please check back!
2018-2019 Chamber Violin Excerpts
2018-2019 Chamber Viola Excerpts
2018-2019 Chamber Cello Excerpts
Nimrod Cello Fingerings
2018-2019 Chamber Bass Excerpts