8th grade students: There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during Walton registration in March with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the freshmen orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement into Philharmonia and/or Sinfonia. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 10, 2017 and then in March, have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.Please note that you are asking to jump levels into an upperclassmen orchestra. We expect that you will act like a junior or senior at Walton if you are accepted to one these orchestras. This includes audition preparation, attendance, attitude, etc. Chamber Orchestra auditions will only be open to current Walton students and 8th graders by middle school teacher recommendation only. Factors that will be considered include All State participation, youth orchestra participation, honor orchestra participation, additional ensembles at the middle schools, attitude, and rehearsal ethic.
9th-11th grade students There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during registration with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the Serenade orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 10, 2017, and have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.
Auditions for 2017-2018: Audition Times 2017-2018 V2
1. Auditions for the 2017-2018 school year will be held the week of March 20, 2017 at Walton High School. Cellos, violas, and basses will be on Monday, March 20, 2017. 8th grade (rising freshmen) violins will be on Monday, March 20, 2017 and Tuesday, March 21, 2017. Current Walton violins will be on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, March 22, 2017. This is the only time to audition. There will not be any auditions scheduled at a later date. **All auditions will be in the Walton Orchestra Room**
2. To audition, you must complete the online request for auditions via. Audition registration is close for the 2017-2018 school year (the deadline was Friday, February 10, 2017). If you have any questions, please e-mail Mrs. Grimes at email@example.com.
3. The audition has two components: 1) Scales & Arpeggios 2) Excerpts
4. Audition results will be posted on the homepage of this site on Friday, March 31, 2017 at 5:00PM.
Scales & Arpeggios. Violins, Violas, Cellos: scales must be eighth note, slur two with QN= 60 and Arpeggios must be quarter note, separate bow with QN = 60. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For violins, violas, and cellos: all scales should be 3 octaves; Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 4 octaves.
Basses should play scales as written on the Walton Bass Scale Sheet. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For bass, all scales should be 2 octaves. Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 3 octaves.
VIOLIN: G Major, A Major, G Melodic Minor, and A Melodic Minor
VIOLA: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
CELLO: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
BASS: F Major, G Major, F Melodic Minor, and G Melodic Minor (Walton Bass Scales Sheet)
Excerpts Please download and print your excerpts. To audition for Sinfonia, only play Sinfonia excerpts. To audition for Philharmonia, play Sinfonia and Philharmonia excerpts. To audition for Chamber Orchestra, play Sinfonia, Philharmonia, and Chamber Orchestra excerpts. Be sure to pay close attention to marked tempos and rhythmic indications.
Sinfonia Excerpts: Please use this video as a study reference for the Festliche Musik. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLt3I-4Ey3I
Sinfonia Violin Excerpts 2017-2018
Sinfonia Viola Excerpts 2017-2018
Sinfonia Cello Excerpts 2017-2018
Sinfonia Bass Excerpts 2017-2018
Philharmonia Excerpts: Please note that there are many interpretations of the tempo of the Britten excerpt. We have chosen a moderate marked tempo for the purpose of this audition.
Philharmonia Violin Excerpts 2017-2018
Philharmonia Viola Excerpts 2017-2018
Philharmonia Cello Excerpts 2017-2018
Philharmonia Bass Excerpts 2017-2018
Chamber Orchestra Excerpts:Please use the following links to study and educate yourself on the tempos accordingly.
Chamber Violin Excerpts 2017-2018
Chamber Viola Excerpts 2017-2018
Chamber Cello Excerpts 2017-2018
Chamber Bass Excerpts 2017-2018