8th grade students: There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during Walton registration in late February/early March with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the freshmen orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement into Philharmonia and/or Sinfonia. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 14, 2020 and then in late February, have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.Please note that you are asking to jump levels into an upperclassmen orchestra. We expect that you will act like a junior or senior at Walton if you are accepted to one these orchestras. This includes audition preparation, attendance, attitude, etc. Chamber Orchestra auditions will only be open to current Walton students and 8th graders by middle school teacher recommendation only. Factors that will be considered include All State participation, youth orchestra participation, honor orchestra participation, additional ensembles at the middle schools, attitude, and rehearsal ethic.
9th-11th grade students There are two options:
1. Enroll in orchestra during registration with their orchestra teacher and be placed in the Serenade orchestra class.
2. Audition for orchestra placement. If they would like to audition, they must complete the online request for audition time by Friday, February 14, 2020, and have their Walton registration form signed by their orchestra teacher.
Auditions for 2020-2021:
1. Auditions for the 2020-2021 school year will be held March 23-25, 2020 at Walton High School. This is the only time to audition. There will not be any auditions scheduled at a later date. **All auditions will be in the Walton Orchestra Room**
2. To audition, you must complete the online request for auditions by Friday, February 14, 2021. Online Request for Audition 2020-2021
If you have any questions, please e-mail Mrs. Grimes at email@example.com.
3. The audition has two components: 1) Scales & Arpeggios 2) Excerpts
4. Audition results will be posted on the homepage of this site on Friday, April 3, 2020 at 5:00PM.
Please note: there will not be school cellos/basses available for auditions. You must bring your own cello or bass as students in Sinfonia, Philharmonia, & Chamber Orchestra must have their own instrument at home to practice the rigorous level of music required of these orchestras.
Scales & Arpeggios. Violins, Violas, Cellos: scales must be eighth note, slur two with QN= 60 and Arpeggios must be quarter note, separate bow with QN = 60. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For violins, violas, and cellos: all scales should be 3 octaves; Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia violin & cello auditionees are encouraged to play 4 octaves.
Basses should play scales as written on the Walton Bass Scale Sheet. You will receive extra points for memorized scales. For bass, all scales should be 2 octaves. Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonia auditionees are encouraged to play 3 octaves.
VIOLIN: G Major, A Major, G Melodic Minor, and A Melodic Minor
VIOLA: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
CELLO: C Major, D Major, C Melodic Minor, and D Melodic Minor
BASS: F Major, G Major, F Melodic Minor, and G Melodic Minor (Walton Bass Scales Sheet)
Please download and print your excerpts. To audition for Sinfonia, only play Sinfonia excerpts. To audition for Philharmonia, play Sinfonia and Philharmonia excerpts. To audition for Chamber Orchestra, play Sinfonia, Philharmonia, and Chamber Orchestra excerpts. Be sure to pay close attention to marked tempos and rhythmic indications.